Tuesday, January 26, 2010

infinitesimal fiction

(it's just like fiction, only smaller)

I cannot believe it, but I finally wrote something!! The idea of a bite sized story really helped me not be overwhelmed. So much so, that I think I did NOT write Microfiction. It ended up being 619 words! Which, correct me if I'm wrong, is actually Flash Fiction.

Still..... WOW! I wrote! I am posting my story below, so please feel free to comment and/or let me know if this is Flash ('Cause I'm pretty sure it's not micro.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waiting
by CE Wood

Kris looked around the room and tried to hide her disgust. She didn’t belong here, with this group of freaks. It was harsh, but brutal honesty was always more appropriate than a sensitive lie. She reached up to touch her temple. A wisp of honey gold had escaped from her bun. She tucked it behind her ear and adjusted her glasses.

“Well,” a low, smoky voice slid past her ear. “Where have you been?”

Kris looked up to see a tall platinum blonde dressed in black leather leering from under enormous fake eyelashes.

“I’m sorry, have we met?” Kris was uncomfortable.

“Oh, no, I would have remembered you. My name is Carlotta. I meant, ‘Where have you been all my life?’”

Kris looked around to see if anyone was paying attention. She couldn’t decide what was more humiliating, that she was being publicly ogled by an Amazonian Marilyn Monroe, or that she was seriously considering turning to the circus for help.

Carlotta followed her gaze. “The boy is Tony. He’s twelve and he likes to play with fire. To his left is Jess.” The young woman was hunched over, her black greasy hair almost concealing her face completely. She clutched her wool sweater closed, quietly weeping. “She never stops. I don’t think her daddy was a nice man.”

An involuntary shiver shot down Kris’ spine. “Across from Jess is Mattie. Steer clear, she is one pissed off chica.” Mattie was glaring at Jess, her face carved into deep grooves of rage.

“Would you just shut up, already? Jesus! How much longer do I have to sit here listening to your pathetic whining? Get over it!” Mattie’s wild, red hair shot out like a halo of flames. Jess seemed to shrink impossibly small, her body wracked with sobs.

There were six other people Carlotta had yet to introduce; wouldn’t one of them say something, anything?

“Stop,” Kris whispered. Mattie’s head whipped around and Kris could feel the full weight of her wrath bearing down.

“What did you say?” The wild look in her eyes made Kris want to run.

Kris calmly gathered herself up, smoothed the front of her suit jacket, and walked to the door. Through the tiny, rectangular window she could see a nurse studying someone’s chart. She lightly rapped on the door, trying to catch the nurse’s attention.

Carlotta sidled up beside her and gently trailed the backs of her fingertips down Kris’ cheek. “Her name is Joanne, but she can’t hear you,” she purred.

Kris could feel the panic tightening in her chest, her breathing turning quick and shallow. She slapped at the door with the flat of her hand. “Excuse me, Nurse Joanne? Can you hear me? I’m ready to go. Can you come open the door?”

Behind her she could hear Mattie raving at someone, Jess’ sobs had turned into a wail of despair, Tony was going from person to person asking for a lighter. So much noise. Everyone was trying to be heard over one another, the sound rising to a fever pitch.

Kris curled her hands into fists and began pounding with all her might. “Nurse!” she screamed, “Nurse, please! I don’t belong in here, I don’t belong with these, these people! Can’t you let me out? I demand to be released from this room!”

Joanne glanced up at the little window. “Ed, I need you to prepare a sedative please,” she called to the nurse’s station. “It seems Ms. Doe is experiencing some anxiety.”

Ed approached with a syringe. “Should we bring her out of the room?”

“No, the doctor needs to conduct a full examination, and until he can determine a prognosis, we have strict orders to keep her in solitary confinement.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Excellent - definitely flash! Micro is like less than 300 words. Flash is up to a 1000 (i think)

    Great post and well done on writing something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And that's what I thought, hehehe. I started getting the story out and I couldn't stop short. I think I have one for next week, though, that will be micro. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete