Saturday, September 12, 2009

I Wrote..... Words!!

I started to have an idea.

Now, this in and of itself is not amazing, as I have a couple hundred ideas a day. My goodness, I am chock full o' ideas. Most days I am idearific. Quite a few of those are little story kernels waiting to be watered, and fed, and spoken into life. Except, I can't do it. One out of a hundred, on a good day, come to fruition, and it is never, ever a story idea.

Until today.

I had an idea for a story, I gave it some thought, and then, before I let the fear overcome it.........

I wrote! 86 words!!

For many, this pittance is cranked out before the author realizes they're typing. But for me, this is a monumental event. The last time I wrote this much of a story on the page was 6 years ago. I started writing a time travel novel for NaNo. When I realized the difficulty of this particular undertaking, I started to freeze up. I couldn't get the story to gel without ripping the time-space continuum and destroying the universe. Which was not how I envisioned the story ending.

This became the pattern of my writing. I would get an idea, get part of it on paper, and freeze up. Then the freezing up came sooner and sooner, until one day I couldn't bring myself to put anything on the page. And that's the way it remained. For years.

The tide is turning.

By November I fully expect to be up to 1700 words per day, allowing me to actually finish NaNo for the first time ever. Then, by this time next year, I will be mustering a cool 5k a day like some of my illustrious colleagues.

And it all started with 86 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment